The Best Gingerbread Dog Treat Recipe
Copy: Serena Faber Nelson
Photography: Serena Faber Nelson
Stop the press! Yes, I can announce, I’ve found the best gingerbread dog treat recipe of all time. And wouldn’t you know it’s just in time for Christmas in July! Nothing says Happy Holidays like an easy Christmas dog treat recipe! So if you and your pooch are feeling festive here’s how you make your own yummy Gingerbread Dog Biscuits…
1 and 1/4 Cups Water
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Honey
3 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Ginger
2 Large Bowls
Mixing and measuring utensils
Gingerbread Cookie Cutter
1. Get two large bowls. In one bowl combine the water, olive oil, molasses and honey. In the second bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves and finely chopped ginger.
2. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until all are combined.
3. Divide the dough into two, wrap and refrigerate for minimum 3.5 hours.
4. Once chilled, remove dough from fridge and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness (less than a centimetre).
5. Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350 F).
6. Use your Gingerbread Cookie Cutter to cut out the biscuits. Place on baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
* Makes around 20 Large Treats.
* I actually found leaving 1/2 Cup of the Water aside made it easier to mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Then as they combined to form a dough, I added the remaining water to ensure the mixture didn’t become too wet and sticky.
* The dough needs to be chilled for a minimum 3.5 hours but can be chilled up to 5 hours.
* Once the biscuits are cooled you can decorate with drizzled carob or yoghurt drops if desired. I rolled the off-cuts into little buttons for the Gingerbread men!
** The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your dog’s diet.
WANT MORE HOMEMADE HEALTHY DOG TREAT RECIPES?
Check out our eBook 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season.
Now in it’s 2nd edition, 52 Weeks of Treats has over 30 healthy DIY dog treat recipes – including everything from summer ‘Blueberry Pupsicles’ to hearty winter ‘Beef Bites’.
With a handy allergies guide, quick references for grain and dairy free recipes AND a whole section just for special occasions (Doggie Birthday Cake anyone?) 52 Weeks of Treats is the ultimate dog treat recipe book.