DIY No Bake Dog Treats: Healthy Treats for You & Your Pooch!
Copy: Serena Faber Nelson
Photography: Serena Faber Nelson
Do you know what every dog and their owner loves? No bake dog treats.
Because. Treats. Because. No bake.
So, to wrap up our GET HEALTHY week of Fresh Start 2012 I’ve got two fabulous recipes to share – one for you and one for your pooch!
Now, for me, when I start looking at healthy food options all too often I get demotivated by a) the effort it takes to make complicated recipes and b) the amount of ingredients I have to purchase for one dish.
Well today I’m here to put those problems aside by sharing two recipes that are not only NO BAKE and can be made in UNDER 15 MINUTES; they each have UNDER 5 INGREDIENTS and ONLY 5 STEPS to follow!
So whip on your chef’s hat and prepare to enjoy some yummy treats – for you and your dog.
First up, some PUPPY PEANUT BUTTER BALLS. These are perfect for your pooch as a healthy treat or end of session training reward.
NO BAKE DOG TREATS: PUPPY PEANUT BUTTER BALLS
1/2 Cup Plain Organic Yoghurt
1 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
3 Cups Rolled Oats
1. Whisk the yoghurt and peanut butter until it forms a paste.
2. Add the oats 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time ensuring they are fully coated and no dry spots form. You will be left with a heavy mixture.
3. Scoop out bite sized pieces with a spoon and roll into little balls.
4. Place on a flat tray lined with baking paper.
5. Pop them in the fridge for one hour to chill, then serve.
* Makes 25-30 treats.
* Treats can last up to 7-10 days stored in the fridge.
* Use a gentle pressure when rolling the balls. The mixture can be sticky and heavy handedness can cause it to crumble.
Next, are some yummy bite sized pieces of sweetness for yourself! This recipe for APRICOT BLISS BALLS calls for muesli, which means you can easily make your own using your rolled oats from recipe one (here’s a handy tutorial) or you can use store bought. Both will be equally yummy and healthy!
NO BAKE TREATS: APRICOT BLISS BALLS
2 Cups Toasted Muesli
60g Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Cup Dried Apricots
1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
1. Melt butter over a low heat.
2. Combine muesli, melted butter, apricots and honey in a food processor. Mix for approximately 3 minutes until well combined, with a consistent texture.
3. Fill a shallow dish or plate with coconut.
4. Scoop out bite sized pieces of apricot mix with a spoon and roll into little balls. Coat them in coconut and place on a flat tray lined with baking paper.
5. Pop them in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
* Makes 20 treats.
* Keep treats stored in the fridge for up to one week.
* Apply the coconut liberally to ensure an even coating.
* When making your own muesli consider adding almonds, sunflower seeds, dried apple or other variations to spice up this recipe!
** The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your dog’s diet.
WANT MORE HOMEMADE HEALTHY DOG TREAT RECIPES?
Check out our eBook 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season.
Now in it’s 2nd edition, 52 Weeks of Treats has over 30 healthy DIY dog treat recipes – including everything from summer ‘Blueberry Pupsicles’ to hearty winter ‘Beef Bites’.
With a handy allergies guide, quick references for grain and dairy free recipes AND a whole section just for special occasions (Doggie Birthday Cake anyone?) 52 Weeks of Treats is the ultimate dog treat recipe book.