Behind the Scenes
A Pretty Fluffy European Adventure – Part II
Welcome to the Part II of my Pretty Fluffy European Adventure! On Monday I took you through my go-to tips for all things French. And today? Here are my favourite highlights from Italy and Greece…including the fluffy friends I met along the way!
- Start at the Spanish Steps and work your way down through The Trident – the area covering the Via del Corso, Via del Babuino, Via Ripetta and all the little lanes in between. Take your time to enjoy the gorgeous displays from the higher end stores (bonus points for spotting my bored husband in the photo of Louis Vuitton above!) and pop into the unique boutiques as you work your way down.
- Old Bridge Gelateria – Everyone says to go here, and everyone is right! For Gelato in Rome you can’t beat it for price and yumminess! You’ll find it just a few blocks from the Vatican.
- Have your own ‘Roman Holiday’. From the Trevi Fountain, to the Roman Forum, to the La Bocca della Verità (Mouth of Truth)… walk in the footsteps of Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. Make sure you actually go inside the colosseum where if you’re lucky you get to meet the ‘caretaker’ cat who resides there.
- Visit the Villa Borghese Gardens for a morning run, or an afternoon stroll. Join the many locals as they walk their dogs!
Amalfi Coast & Pompeii
- Get lost wandering the alleyways of Positano. Stop by one of the many cobblers who will fit and make shoes for you on the spot. You might even see this furry friend I found on a balcony!
- Take a trip down the Amalfi Coast soaking up the sun and the beauty of this slice of heaven. Make sure you take time to have a dip in the Mediterranean (even if it’s just a small toe!)
- Visit the dogs of Pompeii. The dogs of ancient Pompeii were pets and guard dogs, just like today. It’s thought that those dogs who were unchained, sensing the geological unrest, fled the city in advance of the eruption. Those who were chained perished along with their owners. When you visit today Pompeii has a number of gorgeous stray dogs who are cared for by the guides. You can even adopt a dog of Pompeii to help care for them.
- Hotel Danieli – Just footsteps from St. Mark’s Square, this famous hotel was the basis for the luxurious setting of ‘The Tourist’ featuring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. Stop by for an amazing view and an amazing menu.
- Gondola, gondola, gondola. Yes, it’s expensive, yes it’s touristy, but just like having a glass or two of Chianti, it’s a must do to explore the waterways of Venice.
- The Acropolis, Athens. Starting with the ancient citadel, throughout a number of tourist hotspots in Greece you’ll find ‘stray’ dogs that are cared for by the guides. Always finding the sunniest spot to have a nap, they are a gorgeous addition to these awe inspiring landmarks.