Cruelty Free and Non-Toxic Laundry
Copy: Sarah Dickerson
Photography: As listed
When it comes to shopping cruelty free and non-toxic, it’s easy to forget about the laundry soap. Oddly enough, it’s one of the most important items!
It can be a scary thing to think about the harmful chemicals that we could potentially be wearing on our bodies, sleeping on, and covering up with every single day and the effect that can have on our health. Do we really need petrochemicals to clean our clothing? Even worse, the poor animals who are being tested with chemicals we never needed or wanted in the first place – does this seem wrong to anyone else?
Not to worry, we have rounded up 5 completely safe and completely cruelty free laundry soaps that are just as effective, in hopes of making your shopping trip easier.
Having a hard time figuring out if a product is actually cruelty free? Check out our Helpful Cruelty Free Shopping Tips!
Toxic ingredients to watch out for:
- Bleach & Chlorine, endocrine disruptors
- Synthetic detergents & synthetic ingredients, which can come from petrochemicals
- Added artificial fragrances & phthalates (Opt for essential oils).
- Benzene, a known carcinogen, which is an ingredient in most ‘optimal brighteners’.
- Phenols (like BPA) which are known endocrine disruptors.
- Propylene Glycol
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate
1. Zum Clean Eucalyptus Citrus – Clean up the way you clean your skivvies with a handmade laundry soap. We’re talking a nudist colony of coconut oil soap for cleaning and 100% pure essential oils for an all-natural scent. Plus baking soda to remove stains and smells. Zum Clean is a Cruelty Free brand, you also won’t find these dirty words: detergents, optical brighteners, chlorine, parabens, phosphates, petrochemicals or sulfates.
2. Wee Clean Lullaby Lavender – And for the wee ones! This lavender version of Zum Clean if perfect, even for the most delicate of skin!
3. Eco Me Lavender Blossom – Made with plant-derived soaps to keep our waterways safe and plant essential oils with antibacterial properties. You won’t find any bad ingredients here PLUS they are PETA approved and Leaping Bunny Certified!
4. Dr. Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soaps – These clean and cruelty free castile soaps have multiple uses, including laundry soap! Our favorite scents are Peppermint, Citrus Orange and Lavender. Just add a 1/3 – 1/2 cup to each load prepare for delicious smelling laundry.