Coco’s Picks: Healthy Store Bought Dog Treats
We love making homemade treats for Coco Bean, and 90% of the time we do. However, there are times when we grab some healthy dog treats at the store or order online when we know we will be pressed for time to make them at home.
We are frequently asked which store bought treats Coco likes, as well as what we like to stay away from. I’d like to say it is just Coco who is the picky eater, but no, I am just as picky about what treats she eats and more importantly what the ingredients are. We’ve noticed a huge increase of disease and illness in pets over the past decade and it should be no surprise that a lot of it comes down to what they are ingesting. That is why I try my best to make sure we feed Coco healthy dog treats, in effort to prevent illness.
I hope these tips are helpful to others!
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” – Benjamin Franklin
What we avoid:
There are two things Coco can’t have, simply due to allergies:
Here are some the ingredients I make sure are NOT listed:
- Corn (or Corn Starch)
- Canola Oil
- Sugar or Similar
- Artificial Flavors or colors
- By Products/Fillers
- Any oil (other than the good ones Coconut/Olive/Flax)
- Made in China
What we look for:
We are all for treats with any of the following:
- Organic or Non GMO ingredients
- Quinoa (often mistaken for a grain, but is actually a seed)
- Buckwheat (another one often mistaken for a grain, but is actually a seed)
- Local Made, when available
- Made in the USA
So now on to the good stuff – Coco’s picks!
- Honest Kitchen – Wishes
- Max & Ruffy’s – Five Star Blueberry, Mother Quinoa’s Pumpkin Patch, The Kelp Highway
- One Dog Organic Bakery – Peanut Butter Cranberry, Pumpkin Spice with Flaxseed