- Trends & Shopping
- DIY & Tutorials
- Home & Living
- Style & Photography
- Regular Columns
This Sweet Potato Pretzel Dog Treats Recipe is perfect for any pup!
Did you know that Sweet Potatoes are one of the top Superfoods for Dogs? Among the highest vegetables on the nutrition scale, sweet potatoes include Vitamins A, C, Manganese and Iron which are good for a healthy coat and immune system. Their high level of fibre also aids in healthy digestion.
With this easy homemade dog treat recipe, you’ll be giving your dog a tasty snack AND a healthy treat all in one.
200g Sweet Potato
1 and ¾ Cups Wholemeal (Whole Wheat) Flour
1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
1 Free Range Egg (Beaten)
Preheat oven to 175 Degrees Celsius. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
1. Peel and dice sweet potato into cubes and bring to boil in saucepan of water.
2. Drain sweet potato and allow to cool. Puree in food processor.
3. Combine flour and flaxseed in a large bowl.
4. Beat egg and set aside a small amount (approx. 1 Tablespoon) for later.
5. Add sweet potato puree, and remaining beaten egg to dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a dough.
6. Take a bit sized piece of dough and roll into a 10 inch tube (about the thickness of a pencil).
7. Take each tube and make into a U shape, twist the ends together and fold back to form the Pretzel shape. Ensure the ends of the pretzel are tucked under and secured.
8. Place the pretzels onto the lined baking tray. Using pastry brush, brush the remaining beaten egg lightly on top of the pretzels. Place in the oven.
9. Bake Pretzels for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
* Makes approximately 20 Sweet Potato Pretzel Dog Treats.
* For dogs with allergies to whole wheat flour, try almond or coconut flour.
** The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your dog’s diet.
Check out our eBook 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season.
Now in it’s 2nd edition, 52 Weeks of Treats has over 30 healthy DIY dog treat recipes – including everything from summer ‘Blueberry Pupsicles’ to hearty winter ‘Beef Bites’.
With a handy allergies guide, quick references for grain and dairy free recipes AND a whole section just for special occasions (Doggie Birthday Cake anyone?) 52 Weeks of Treats is the ultimate dog treat recipe book.