- Trends & Shopping
- DIY & Tutorials
- Home & Living
- Style & Photography
- Regular Columns
Can I get an amen for this super easy no sew dog bandana?
While Soda has never been a dog that into fancy dress, one fail safe way to add a pop of colour has always been the good old Doggie Bandana.
But what to do if you want to make your own and your sewing skills belie the fact that you have opposable thumbs? Why you make our no sew bandana that’s what you do!
These dog bandanas are made to slip on and off your favourite collar so your dog is sure to always be in style.
Fabric scraps – at least 14 x 14 inches
Hemming Tape – from your local craft or sewing store
1. Using a marker or pencil, draw the outline of your bandana on the inside side of the fabric. The outline will resemble an open envelope. To cheat the outline draw a rectangle 10 inches wide by 5 inches high, with the bottom of the rectangle at the edge of the fabric. Then simply rule a triangle on top of your rectangle to get the bandana shape. Note: you want the excess fabric at the bottom (where you drew the rectangle) as this will later form a loop around your dog’s collar.
2. Using your drawn guidelines cut out two pieces. Ensure they are as closely identical as possible and trim where required.
3. Get each piece of fabric and fold in the edges as pictured about half an inch and iron to hold the shape.
4. Apply hemming tape to one piece over the newly folded edges. Place the second piece of fabric on top and iron in place. At this stage all the patterned fabric should be on the outside. Once ironed thoroughly your hemming tape should have joined the two fabric pieces together to form the bandana.
5. Grab your collar and gently fold the top excess material once around to form a loop. Place one last piece of hemming tape across the bandana to secure the loop and iron on.
Ta da! DIY no sew dog bandana!