With a new year upon us, it’s time to say hello to a new column on Pretty Fluffy. Every month, I’ll be looking at a new way to make life that little bit sweeter, that little bit more exciting, that little bit more luxurious…sounds good doesn’t it? At the end of each post, I’ll be giving you a challenge on how you can turn words into action. This month, we’re talking Bucket Lists.
I was chatting to my mum the other night and she mentioned her latest vacation was a trip to cross off the Bucket List. Seems today everyone has some version of a Bucket List – that is things they want to do before “they kick the bucket”. Sounds macabre, but really it’s more a celebration of life and the world of opportunities out there.
So it got me to thinking, what would our dogs want to put on their Bucket Lists? When I sat down and thought of the things that would make my dog’s life more enriched I was surprised at what I came up with…
1. To go to the Beach. It may come as a shock that Soda doesn’t visit the seaside every weekend, considering we live in Sydney, but for the younger years of her life Soda couldn’t care less about beach time frolicking. As a result her outings began to consist of parks, bush trails and suburban streets. I would like to take her to the beach again to see if she enjoys putting her paws in the water.
2. To return to her puppy home. We’re lucky enough to still live close by to where Soda grew up as a puppy. It’s a great trip down memory lane to walk the paths we did when she was 10 years younger and Soda may even see a few familiar faces.
3. To get a family photo shoot taken. On the surface this seems like a item that fits better on my bucket list, but the reasoning behind it is, I want Soda to be recorded as the significant part of life that she is. For dogs, their stars shine so brightly, that we need to capture them while they’re here.
4. To stay at a luxe doggie hotel. That’s right, I’m talking room service, in house movies and a day of snuggles. I can’t wait for our little family of three to book into a luxury dog friendly hotel – it’s the perfect base to explore the city together.
The great thing about a doggie bucket list is, it makes you see things from your dog’s perspective. You start thinking of little ways you can make their days sweeter and brighter. Because after all, that’s what they do for you.
It also gives you much more insight and clarity when you start to work on your own bucket list. Here’s just some of the ideas I came up with for myself…
1. To travel to Santa’s Village. I think it’s in Finland, or somewhere Nordic, and ever since I found out it’s existence I’ve wanted to visit. I may have to borrow a small child to get in, but the 32 year old me just wants to meet Rudolph. He TOTALLY exists.
2. To see the Big 5 (Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo, Rhinoceros) in the wild. I’m not a big fan of zoos, but would love to see these majestic creatures in their natural habitats. If I can be greedy I want to add a family of Giraffes in for good measure.
3. To write and publish a work of fiction. They say you have to dream big to achieve big! I love the idea of a printed work remaining here long after I’m gone.
Funny thing is, just like the doggie bucket list for Soda, experiences, travel and achievements top my personal list. The best part? I’ve found it’s a great way to help steer the course of the decisions and choices you’re making on a daily basis.
So why not jump in and write your own?
THIS MONTHS’ CHALLENGE: Write a bucket list for you + your dog and start dreaming of which experiences you’re going to cross off first.
Tell us in the comments, what would be the first thing you’d put on your Bucket List?