When I started The 13 Project just 2 short weeks ago I never through it would have the response it’s had. With tweets, facebook shares, and pins now running into the thousands I am truly humbled by the number of people ready and willing to make the end of 2012 count for animals.
I’ve done my best to read and comment on every project list posted online (if I haven’t please email me to let me know) and the links on the original post are now totaling over 55 and counting. Some of them have opened my eyes to amazing foundations helping animals throughout the world, some have been bursting with creativity and others have been so touching they have moved me to tears. I’m truly floored. Because do you know what this all means? It’s means that between now and the end of 2012 there will be hundreds of small acts of kindness bestowed on animals around the world.
As someone who only a few weeks ago was questioning whether one person could make a difference, the response to this project has proven to me that even the smallest acts can have the biggest impact. Thank you all from the bottom of my dog-crazy heart.
But before I get carried away – let’s do a inventory of our lists! Are you crossing things off? Let’s take a look at my original list and what I’ve managed to do so far…
UPDATE #1: The 13 Project…
1. Go through all of my old towels, bedding and sheets & donate what I don’t use to my local shelter.
2. Attend the Oscar’s Law Rally against puppy farming. DONE! (If you would like to support them please consider joining the Oscar’s Law Facebook Page)
3. Share and repost a rescue dog’s profile on Facebook until I know they find a loving fur-ever home.
4. Go through Soda’s toys and donate the ones she doesn’t use anymore to my local rescue centre.
5. Buy this calendar knowing that all profits go towards helping dogs in need. DONE! (You can still buy copies here though)
6. Send a letter to my local representative asking them to ban the sale of animals in pet shops.
7. De-clutter my closet and sell the clothes that I no longer wear on eBay. Donate those profits to the RSPCA.
8. Organise a group of friends to spend an afternoon walking dogs or cleaning at our local shelter.
9. Purchase a collar in the WSPA’s Collars Not Cruelty campaign.
10. Join POOPs – the program that assists elderly pet owners with basic and emergency pet care.
11. Sign this petition to help save greyhounds from a cruel export trade. DONE! (I encourage you to sign it too!)
12. Pin Pro-Adoption & Pro-Rescue posters and images on Pinterest to encourage others to think of adopting. DONE! (Inspired by other 13 Project lists, I also started a board just for cute pups up for adoption here: Adopt Me!)
13. Share and promote The 13 Project to inspire others! DONE! (But you’ve just got me started on this one!)
So let me hear from you. How is your list going?
I’m here to be your personal cheerleader to get those goals crossed off your list by the time the New Years Eve fireworks go off. Don’t ever feel alone, overwhelmed or that you can’t make a difference. None of us are perfect, just do what you can. Remember, every action you make has the chance to change an animal’s life forever. We’re in this together!