To wrap up our GET HEALTHY week of Fresh Start 2012 I’ve got two fabulous recipes to share – one for you and one for your pooch! Now, for me, when I start looking at healthy food options all too often I get demotivated by a) the effort it takes to make complicated recipes and b) the amount of ingredients I have to purchase for one dish.
Well today I’m here to put those problems aside by sharing two recipes that are not only NO BAKE and can be made in UNDER 15 MINUTES; they each have UNDER 5 INGREDIENTS and ONLY 5 STEPS to follow! So whip on your chef’s hat and prepare to enjoy some yummy treats – for you and your dog.
First up, some PUPPY PEANUT BUTTER BALLS. These are perfect for your pooch as a healthy treat or end of session training reward.
1/2 Cup Low Fat Milk
1 Cup Peanut Butter
3 Cups Rolled Oats
1. Combine the milk and peanut butter in a mixer until it forms a paste.
2. Add the oats 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time ensuring they are fully coated and no dry spots form. You will be left with a heavy mixture.
3. Scoop out bite sized pieces with a spoon and roll into little balls.
4. Place on a flat tray lined with baking paper.
5. Pop them in the fridge for one hour.
* Makes 25-30 treats.
* Treats can last up to 2 weeks stored in the fridge.
* Use a gentle pressure when rolling the balls. The mixture can be sticky and heavy handedness can cause it to crumble.
* Milk can be substituted with other dairy free variations for dogs with allergies.
Next, are some yummy bite sized pieces of sweetness for yourself! This recipe for APRICOT BLISS BALLS calls for muesli, which means you can easily make your own using your rolled oats from recipe one (here’s a handy tutorial) or you can use store bought. Both will be equally yummy and healthy!
2 Cups Toasted Muesli
60g Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Cup Dried Apricots
1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
1. Melt butter over a low heat.
2. Combine muesli, melted butter, apricots and honey in a food processor. Mix for approximately 3 minutes until well combined, with a consistent texture.
3. Fill a shallow dish or plate with coconut.
4. Scoop out bite sized pieces of apricot mix with a spoon and roll into little balls. Coat them in coconut and place on a flat tray lined with baking paper.
5. Pop them in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
* Makes 20 treats.
* Keep treats stored in the fridge for up to one week.
* Apply the coconut liberally to ensure an even coating.
* When making your own muesli consider adding almonds, sunflower seeds, dried apple or other variations to spice up this recipe!
** The above recipes are for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your dogs diet.